Will forever be one of the greatest villains ever created. Especially his most recent manifestation in the BBC’s Sherlock.
But after his death, I honestly can’t find a reason for the Sherlock series’ continued existence. Arthur Conan Doyle had intended for Sherlock and Moriarty to both die at Reichenbach. It was the most fitting end for both of them: the most powerful criminal mastermind, and the world’s greatest detective. They are two halves, two entities that are so diametrically opposed that they are fated to clash. Yet at the same time they are so similar to one another. Defeating the other would cause the death of both. It may be cliche, but I feel that for Sherlock Holmes, it works so well. But because of public outcry, Doyle felt forced to bring Sherlock back… But to what?
Think about Sherlock’s character. He wanted excitement, a thrill out of solving a new and interesting case. After taking down such a superb villain as Moriarty, honestly, what’s left for him to go after? Everything else will just be boring to him, in comparison.
I don’t know, I’m just starting to read the novels now, so maybe I’m missing something from the original canon, but I believe that what Doyle originally intended was the best possible ending, story-wise.
Maybe another thing that bugs me about it is the fact that the fans forced Doyle to change the story he envisioned. I want to write for a living. That’s my goal, my dream in life. And to imagine that some random people would feel that they think they have a better idea of what to do with my characters, my ideas, my themes, gives me a weird taste in my mouth. Maybe it sounds arrogant, but it’s what I think.
Everyone disagrees with me. But I guess that’s why it’s just, like, my opinion, man.
Bracing for hate… now.
- literateur likes this
- ladymalchav likes this
- cheloneh likes this
- randomredux reblogged this from angelcreations and added:
- angelcreations reblogged this from lndtbr and added:
- khuenaten likes this
- ekksen likes this
- inb4thefandom likes this
- geremoi likes this
- battleangel25 likes this
- oursisthekaiju likes this
- visionplace reblogged this from enjolrastopheles
- fava-beans-and-chianti likes this
- reesl likes this
- mad-girls-lovesong7 likes this
- fantasticdoctorwho likes this
- wholockoncer likes this
- potterphiliac likes this
- mumblingsage reblogged this from lndtbr and added:
- vanaldenthebaptist likes this
- johnwatsonsraisinbran likes this
- 9haychus likes this
- jjabramsing likes this
- doctorwhom reblogged this from uwotmviii and added:
- yanderedere likes this
- bellatrixisastar likes this
- psychoticsoz reblogged this from shirastrix
- ineverwantedatumblr reblogged this from hahahaenglishmajor
- mrpinstripesuit likes this
- scarletmemoir reblogged this from oscarstardis
- xtyanax likes this
- theivesandbeggars reblogged this from uwotmviii
- endorsing-your-non-sequitur likes this
- reuvenmalter likes this
- uwotmviii likes this
- gayfather likes this
- smugnessconfirmed said:There are so many stories left to tell, though!
- asleeporawakealwaysinthought reblogged this from hahahaenglishmajor
- asleeporawakealwaysinthought likes this
- sigorivanda likes this
- tolonar likes this
- hahahaenglishmajor posted this